…Until the midges erupted at 7:23pm while we were eating dinner.
5 star weather. 5 star walking. 5 star rolling hill scenery. 5 star campsite. 5 star Airbnb reservation for tomorrow night in Yetholm Town, the end of the Pennine Way. Even the cottage cheese with dinner was a 5 star change from the usual fare.
Then, at exactly 7:23 the midges went from none-all-day to swarms. Unbelievable. Jim was already in the tent, so he quickly zipped shut. I was fully covered, including two Uber-tubes covering my face from top to bottom except a little slit for my eyes, so I finished all the outdoor tasks. A man and his ~10 year old daughter walked by at 7:28 and said "the midges just came out, we're headed to Windy Gyle to spend the night on top, hopefully it will be windy up there". Windy Gyle is about a half mile from here. As they walked away the daughter said "daddy, I think we should go back to England; Scotland has too many midges." So funny, because we're just a few hundred meters from the border!
We are happy and healthy and glad to have a midge-proof tent, and glad they weren't out all day.
5 star weather. 5 star walking. 5 star rolling hill scenery. 5 star campsite. 5 star Airbnb reservation for tomorrow night in Yetholm Town, the end of the Pennine Way. Even the cottage cheese with dinner was a 5 star change from the usual fare.
Then, at exactly 7:23 the midges went from none-all-day to swarms. Unbelievable. Jim was already in the tent, so he quickly zipped shut. I was fully covered, including two Uber-tubes covering my face from top to bottom except a little slit for my eyes, so I finished all the outdoor tasks. A man and his ~10 year old daughter walked by at 7:28 and said "the midges just came out, we're headed to Windy Gyle to spend the night on top, hopefully it will be windy up there". Windy Gyle is about a half mile from here. As they walked away the daughter said "daddy, I think we should go back to England; Scotland has too many midges." So funny, because we're just a few hundred meters from the border!
We are happy and healthy and glad to have a midge-proof tent, and glad they weren't out all day.
2 comments:
Danged midges! I was bitten by a swarm on Beaver Island in Michigan and had a swollen face for days. There wasn’t enough Benadryl in the entire state to reduce the swelling.
Ugh, midges! The Highland Midges bite. :( Good to hear that you were mostly protected.
Post a Comment